How Long Does Crawl Space Encapsulation Last?
A properly encapsulated crawl space can last 20 years or longer. Crawl space encapsulation is the process of transforming your crawl space into a clean, dry, pleasant storage area that can eliminate problems caused by moisture – such as mold and insects – and add value to your home.
To get the most from your investment, you should choose a contractor with a track record for providing free estimates and excellent customer service.
Factors That Affect the Lifespan of Crawl Space Encapsulation
A number of factors can affect how long home crawl space encapsulation will last. These include:
- The level of preparation prior to installing the moisture barrier – this includes removing any standing water, leveling the soil, repairing damage to insulation, plumbing, or wiring, eliminating pests, and removing rocks or other sharp objects.
- The quality of materials used – for example, the materials used for the moisture barrier, also known as the membrane, can vary from one contractor to another. Good crawl space encapsulation services use higher-grade products for better results.
- The extent of encapsulation – for the job to last, the membrane should completely cover the floor, walls, and pillars. The contractor should use a high-quality commercial adhesive for best results.
- The integrity of the moisture barrier – a well-encapsulated crawl space will form a strong, continuous barrier against moisture and pests.
- Whether or not sealants were used on the external walls – sometimes it’s necessary to seal the concrete blocks themselves before installing the moisture barrier. Otherwise, moisture may enter the space behind and underneath the fabric, promoting mold growth and weakening the adhesives used to achieve a bond.
- The types of humidity controls put in place – these may include a dehumidifier, sump pump, or other devices.
- The quality of the access door – Most crawl spaces include a small access door for using the area as a storage space. The strength and durability of this door will play a key role in how long crawl space encapsulation lasts.
- The amount of ongoing maintenance – keeping the crawl space snug and dry requires periodic inspections, usually on an annual or biannual basis. Otherwise, small gaps can allow moisture or other contaminants to enter the space, damaging the homeowner’s personal belongings while promoting mold or mildew growth.
Want to Know More about Crawl Space Protection? Contact Us Today
Here at Align Foundation Repair, we cover a wide range of crawl encapsulation service areas around the Dallas-Fort Worth region. Our rates are fair and our work is guaranteed.
The sooner you act, the sooner your crawl space problems will be in the past. Contact us today to learn more about encapsulation and other home foundation repair services. You’ll soon be on your way to a drier, safer, more pleasant home.