What Causes a Foundation to Settle?
A residential or commercial foundation may settle due to a number of factors, including:
- Drainage problems
- Poorly compacted soil
- Earth tremors
- Tree or shrub roots
- Leaking water lines
- Gravity itself
No matter what caused the problem, our foundation repair services can undo the harm and protect your home or business for many years to come. Get in touch with our office today for a free inspection and price quote for our knowledgeable and experienced foundation repair professionals.
What Causes Foundation Settling
To the untrained eye, a building’s foundation may seem solid and unmovable. In reality, however, the soil surrounding the structure is in a constant state of flux due to causes like these:
- Dry earth – Prolonged periods without rain can cause the soil to contract, making your foundation expand outwards and eventually crack.
- Drainage problems – heavy rainfall is another threat to your foundation, especially if water pools around the perimeter and floods the soil. The sheer volume of moisture can squeeze your foundation like an object trapped in a vise.
- Loose soil – when a home or business is under construction, the contractor is supposed to pack and compress the underlying earth. But sometimes this step is overlooked, causing loose, crumbly soil that allows the foundation to sink into the ground.
- Tremors – the slightest shift in the earth’s crust can affect your foundation, even if the quake is too mild for you to consciously notice.
- Tree or shrub roots – spreading roots can harm your foundation in two ways: by drawing out moisture or by shifting the soil. Either problem can cause your foundation to settle and move out of place.
- Water leaks – sometimes the water that erodes a foundation’s support comes not from the sky but from broken water pipes under your home or business.
- Time and gravity – did you know that the average American home can weigh over 100 tons? Imagine the constant pressure created by that kind of weight.
Foundation Repair Richardson TX
No matter what caused your foundation to sink, prompt action is essential to keep the problem from getting worse. That’s where Align Foundation Repair comes into the picture. Here’s what we can do:
- Reverse the process – one way we do this is by burying steel piers deep in the bedrock and anchoring the foundation to them. Another way is to inject expanding grout under the foundation so that it rises and becomes strong and stable.
- Prevent the problem from coming back – often, this requires nothing more than improving the drainage around your home or business.
- Back up our work with a fully transferable lifetime warranty – so you can relax and enjoy your fully restored foundation.
Your Foundation Repair Contractors in Richardson Texas
If you live in our Richardson foundation repair service area, please reach out today to schedule your free inspection. We’re members of the Better Business Bureau and hold an A+ rating with the agency, so you can feel good about entrusting the work to us.
Quick action is important to prevent further damage to your home or business. Give our friendly professionals a call, and you’ll soon have a solid, stable structure beneath your feet once more.