4 Tips to Protect Your Foundation During Fall
With autumn on its way, now is the time to protect your home’s foundation from the upcoming changes in the weather. Here are four helpful tips for foundation protection:
- Clean and inspect your gutters.
- Make sure the property around your foundation is properly graded.
- Inspect exterior for signs of shifting.
- Call an experienced foundation repair contractor if you notice any warning signs of a damaged foundation.
Let’s look at each of these points in more detail.
Cleaning and Inspecting Your Gutters
Your gutters are your home’s first line of defense against rainwater erosion. But they need your help in order to do their job. Here’s how to keep them in good shape during the autumn months:
- Clean them yourself or hire a professional to do the job for you: If you go the DIY route, then remember to follow basic safety precautions like using a sturdy ladder and eye protection.
- Keep an eye out for cracks, corrosion, and other signs of damage and replace your gutters if necessary: this will cost you much less than repairing a damaged foundation.
Checking the Grade Around Your Foundation
A properly landscaped home will have soil that slopes away from the foundation and towards the street. This prevents rainwater from pooling around the perimeter of the home and entering your crawl space.
Checking the grade around your home is easy and requires no special tools. A landscaping company can correct any problems you find. You can also do the work yourself if you have the tools and the know-how.
Giving Your Foundation a Close Examination
Gutters and grading are essential for foundation protection. But all the precautions in the world may not be enough to prevent damage from occurring.
That’s why we recommend inspecting the perimeter and crawl space of your home 2-3 times a year. Here’s what to look for:
- Cracks wider than about ¼ of an inch.
- Standing water or excessive moisture in your crawl space.
- Brick damage and Siding damage.
Call an Experienced Foundation Repair Company
If you notice any of the tell-tale signs of a troubled foundation, our foundation experts serving North Texas are ready to provide you with a free inspection and estimate. We provide a variety of professional foundation repair services, including pier and beam foundation repair, drainage system repair, crawl space encapsulation, and more. We’ve served the people of the Dallas-Fort Worth area for more than 20 years by providing excellent service at affordable prices. Our work is guaranteed, and we’re happy to provide references from past customers.
Remember, the earlier you catch the damage, the more money you can save in potentially costly repairs. We invite you to get in touch with our Dallas-Fort Worth foundation experts today for your free, no-obligation estimate.