Whether you’re on the verge of purchasing a new house or are already a homeowner, it’s important to be able to spot the warning signs of foundation damage. The majority of Texas homes are built on slab foundations, which are subject to cracks and fissures as the underlying ground settles. The good news is you can save significant costs (and headaches) by detecting and addressing structural problems early on. Even minor foundation problems – when left unaddressed– can result in more serious and expensive repairs down the line.
How to know if my foundation is off?
Keep in mind that time isn’t always the culprit when it comes to foundation damage and failure. Foundation problems can creep up in newly constructed homes and older ones. Don’t let structural problems in a masonry or concrete foundation worsen over time. While you may not be able to identify the source of the problem without a professional inspection, foundation problems are relatively easy to recognize, once you know what to look out for.
10 signs your foundation may need repair
Foundation repair signs around your home may be subtle or obvious. Here are some visible clues that may indicate your foundation is compromised.
- Windows or doors that used to open easily are now misaligned and difficult to shut
- Cracks in brick or masonry walls, particularly over windows and doorways
- Warped or bowed ceilings
- Sloped floors; joint separation in wood floors; popped floor tiles
- Gaps or cracks in the seam between walls and the ceiling
- Standing water around the perimeter of the house, in crawl spaces or the basement
- A chimney that leans in one direction
- Buckling, ruptures or hairline cracks in the foundation (may be horizontal, zig-zagging or vertical)
- Stoops or front porches that appear to have sunken
- Exterior walls that are crumbling or show signs of moisture intrusion
Note that it is completely normal for properties to settle over time, and construction materials are designed to accommodate moderate soil shifts. Hairline cracks in your masonry walls or concrete foundation are not always signs of imminent damage, whereas larger horizontal cracks are generally more serious concerns. Improper water drainage is another telltale indicator that a foundation crack has occurred, as this can redirect water to lower areas.
Foundation repair in Garland, Texas
If you notice signs of foundation problems, you’ll want professional foundation evaluation as soon as possible. For residents of Garland, foundation repair is cost-efficient and backed by an industry-leading warranty. Discover why homeowners throughout Texas have come to trust Align Foundation Repair when it comes to superior workmanship, proven techniques and the highest quality products. Contact us today for a visit and we’ll be happy to provide a free foundation repair estimate.
Additional Resources on Foundation Repair Signs:
- HouseLogic, Identifying House Foundation Problems https://www.houselogic.com/organize-maintain/home-maintenance-tips/understanding-foundation-problems/
- com, Signs of Foundation Problems: Should You Fix Them, or Run? https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/signs-of-foundation-problems/
- Today’sHomeowner, Foundation Problems, https://www.todayshomeowner.com/foundation-problems/